Wisdom to Live By

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths."
Proverbs 3:5-6

Monday, February 20, 2012

Making it Matter on Monday

Recently this statement was spoken to me, "You do so much, how do you hold it all together".  Ok, as soon as I heard this I laughed.  I also recently read a wonderful post by someone I have recently made blogging friends with, Mandy over at Biblical Homemaking, apparently someone told her the same thing and she aired all her shortcomings and failures, which is what I'm about to do.  My inspiration for coming out with this post comes from the fact that if I'm going to tell you what I do on a daily basis to keep it together, I must first tell you who keeps it together.  Thus, the title.  Yesterday, God chose to point these things out to me and I wish to share with you.  Our pastor gave a wonderful message yesterday and I'm going to borrow his points, but tell you what God wanted me to hear.  Our scripture was from Mark 2:1-12, it's the story of the paralytic man who couldn't reach Jesus, so they lowered him through the roof to be healed.  Pastor pointed out five important notes in this passage.  Ok, his first point, Stop preaching, extend grace.  What God wanted me to hear, "sometimes we just need to shut-up and listen", sometimes that what it takes, it's the more meaningful and compassionate thing to do.  This post may be a little long, but I feel it is necessary for you to understand the foundation of why I do what I do.  Last year,  God told me to shut-up and listen........ to my sister, a drug addict on the verge of losing her family and her life.  I needed to stop trying to preach my way of life and ultimately that brings me to the next point in the sermon.  His second point; Carry another to God.  What God wanted me to hear, "sometimes people are so far down they can't find God, stop judging, love them and take them to God.  Carry someone to church if need be, don't invite them, physically take them with you.  So, against everything in mind, I gave the situation with my sister to God and he said, your going to carry her.  So we did, it's amazing because hubby didn't hesitate when I told him what God wanted us to do.  We brought my sister and her baby to live with us.  We detoxed her and then we didn't preach, we listened and lived.  It went against every fiber in my being to keep my mouth shut sometimes (those of you who know me ;P), but we had to show her a new way of life and who God really was.  I have a very strong emotional block and it is very difficult for me to open up sometimes, but she needed to see how far we all can fall and yet it doesn't matter to God.  Third point, Cooperate on the cot, we all at some point in our life will need to depend on others and be carried.  What God wanted me to hear,  "that was you and you fought the whole way".  My sister really got to see who God is and how much He loves her.  She accepted Jesus and God decided it was time for her to go home after about three months of living with us.  I was not ready, but He said let her go.  After that,  I fell,  I didn't feel like I had a purpose anymore and I couldn't feel God anymore.  Wow, huh, no emotional block right now,  I sit here crying, but that's ok because none of you can actually see me ;P.  I had forgotten, my wonderful blessings, my wonderful life.  As I got up every morning, praying, looking, thinking about my next big job from God, He finally gently reminded me through my wonderful church body.  You have a big job already.  They get up every morning and expect you to show them the way.  Love them. Teach them. (which is something God called me to do a long time ago and I had forgotten).  Show them who I am.  Love your husband.  Be a good steward of everything I have given you and Take care of them.  Apparently God knew I needed that time with my sister to show me who He really is and what my main purpose is, (even though He may give me side jobs now and then ;P).  Fourth point, Carry your own cot home, it is our responsibility to be good stewards of our healing.  It has been a long time coming, but that is the true purpose of this post.  to first show you how very human we all can be and who God truly is in our shortcomings and failures.  Last point, Praise God, believe what you have never seen before.  I saw God more clearly in my few months with my sister here than my whole life before that time.  He is truly amazing and it's scary how quickly we can forget that.  So as it seems that I juggle a lot and it looks like I hold it all together, just know, it's not for me or all me that I do these things.  3 John 1:2 says It is God that I prosper and be in good health, even as my soul prospers.  In the coming weeks, I will let you in on some of the ways I keep the house and homeschooling in order, but please, if you take nothing else away from this post remember this.  "He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness' "Therefore most gladly I would rather boast my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake.  For when I am weak, then I am strong."  2 Corinthians 12: 9-10.  All for now.  

5 comments:

  1. LOVE IT, Erica!!! PRAISE GOD :-)
    ~Desirae

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post! :) Really hits home. Also goes to show that you never really know how someone is doing. I'm glad you listened. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I look forward to reading each one. :)