Wisdom to Live By

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths."
Proverbs 3:5-6

Monday, January 24, 2011

Week in Review Jan 17-Jan 23

Can you believe we reached the end of another week. Crazy. This past week was interesting and disappointing, but I am so very blessed and thankful to my God for every moment. Well we had another great week in homeschooling complete with fits, fights and 2 hour worksheets (you know what I'm talking about) but we had a blast. All 3 of my kiddos love to participate in something during learning time so here's my little woman cheesing for you after a hard days work of coloring.

Daddy likes to participate in learning time as well, so sometimes we wait for the evening so Big Man can do some with daddy.

And then when the kids leave the table after dinner, Hubby and I have staring contests.

Just kidding. He hates when I take shots of him. :P Well, we finally had some rain, yes rain not snow, and it melted all the snow we had. Apparently it still wasn't warm enough to melt the lake it's still frozen. It was melted for about a minute before this happened again.

It was quite frigid. In fact here are a couple of shots out of my kiddos bedroom window.

Now I want to point out that the ice crystals are actually on the out pane of glass. Although that really doesn't make it sound any better. It was still stinkin cold outside. :P Now for the disappointing part. Hubby's company has a conference every year that includes a ball. How fun! We found out that we were going to pay $31 for food and there was going to be childcare. I was kinda excited to be getting dressed up with my hubby in his dress uniform. So, I went out got my dress, my jewelry and my shoes. Well, the day before this thing kicks off we find out that food is not $31 but $62 dollars and that childcare is $21.......... a child. Yea right! So I tried to find childcare, but at last minute and in a town where you just moved, you don't have a lot of options. So I didn't get to go. Unfortunately, it was mandatory for hubby. Now, I'm telling you all of this to say, yes, it was disappointing, a little, but NOT THAT MUCH. It ended up being mandatory for him to stay for the entire thing. My kiddos would NOT have been happy about that. It ended at 10:00 p.m. No Way! So I'm going to use this as a lesson in frugality. You're probably thinking, ouch, you already bought your dress and jewelry and shoes, but what if I told you I spent $21 on all of it. Let me show you some shots because I decided since I had bought it all anyways I would put it on a take some pics.

First, I never pay full price for anything. I'm one of those coupon clippers every week that you get stuck behind at the grocery store, so let me tell you about my great deal.
Dress- Goodwill $5 It is a full length formal
Jewelry- Necklace and matching earrings set- Walmart $8
Shoes- Payless- Originally $26.99 On clearance for $8.
I did my own hair and makeup so that was free. Pretty good, huh.
I get pretty good deals just about every shopping trip and just might start a little spot on my blog about it. Let me know what you think about that. I'll let you know next week how this week goes. All for now.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Erica, I LOVE reading your blog and keeping up with your family through it. :-)I like how you are always honest about everything; how some times things are hard or don't turn out how we would like for them to. Love the dress and I would enjoying reading more about your great finds.

    I read Redeeming Love last summer it's such a wonderful book. I tell everyone about it. Have a great week! :-) ~Lori (Wilson)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lori! Just keepin it real. Not everything goes as planned you know. Don't forget to become a follower so you can keep getting updates. Thanks again for reading and thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Erica,

    Sorry to hear about getting all purrtied up for nothing! Awesomeness on the dress only being five bucks. Wow! I think its a great idea to put up places where you can find good deals. Also can't wait to see what your project will be.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I look forward to reading each one. :)