Wisdom to Live By

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths."
Proverbs 3:5-6

Sunday, April 25, 2010

FFF, April 23, 2010

FFF is back. Well, after people asking me about it, I'm back to posting about it. Fun Food Friday has returned. This past Friday my kids decided that instead of something new, they wanted my Cheesy Potato Soup. Ok, easy enough. So the menu was Cheesy Potato Soup and Peanut Butter Cookies. Yum! Of course, I never really measure anything so these are all estimations. Cheesy Potato Soup ingredients are:

About 5 or 6 medium red potatoes, washed and cubed
1 medium onion
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
salt
pepper
3 cups milk or evaporated milk
4 ounces extra sharp cheddar
6 pieces cooked bacon, chopped

First things first, boil your potatoes as if your going to make potato salad, not too mushy. I boil mine for about 8 -10 minutes. Always start your potatoes in cold water so that they cook more evenly. Drain reserving about a cup of the water. Saute your onions in the butter until translucent and soft. Then add flour making a rue. Let it cook for a minute or two continuosly stirring so that the flour taste cooks out. Add your potato water and stir until it starts to thicken. Add your potatoes and milk and bring to a boil and when it starts to thicken turn down to low and add cheese and bacon and stir until cheese is melted. If you want it really fattening though you could substitute the butter with bacon grease. :P I'm just sayin'. Ok onto the peanut butter cookies. The ingredients are:

1 cup peanut butter
1 cup vegetable shortening ( I just used a 2 sticks of butter, if you use butter make sure it is softened)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups flour

Cream your peanut butter and butter together in a mixer on medium. Add your sugars and then add your egg, one at a time, to the mixture. Add your vanilla and beat on high for a couple of minutes. In a separate bowl, combine your flour and salt and then add to your peanut butter mixture. Drop by spoonfuls on greased cookie sheet and flatten with fork in criss cross pattern. Bake for about 8 - 10 minutes on highest rack in oven on 400 degrees. Everybody loved them and they are all gone. My very best friend and neighbor told me about her peanut butter cookie recipe which I will be trying next, so I want yours. Send me your trusty peanut butter cookie recipe so we can try it out. Happy cooking. All for now.



1 comment:

  1. Yay for bacon grease potato soup! It was yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I look forward to reading each one. :)