Wisdom to Live By

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths."
Proverbs 3:5-6

Friday, February 5, 2010

Fun Food Friday 2/5/10

Well, it's Fun Food Friday again and this time it was bittersweet. Big Man was not feeling up to cooking. He was way to busy playing. We had to say goodbye tonight to some friends of ours. They are PCSing to Korea. Tonight we had them over for dinner for one last get together. It was sad to say goodbye since it feels like they just got here. But, thus is the life of the military family. We always see friends come and go. Only keeping in touch through email and letters. Since Big Man was too busy playing with his friends, I had another helper. My goose decided he wanted to cook tonight. What was on the menu this Friday, you ask? Our appetizer was White Pizza Dip. I give this one 2 out of 5 stars. The recipe was very simple, but it just didn't taste that great. My DH thought it was awesome so at least someone will eat it. The ingredients for the White Pizza Dip are:

1 envelope of Garlic Soup Mix
1 container (8 oz.) sour cream
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup pepperoni

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Get a 1 to 1.5 quart casserole dish. Mix together the soup mix, the sour cream, the ricotta cheese, 3/4 cup of mozzarella cheese and pepperoni. After you've mixed it together really well, top with the remaining cheese and bake for 30 min. We ate it with tortilla chips. The Goose did an excellent job of stirring. Check out the slideshow for the pics.

For our main dish we had Three Cheese Baked Ziti. I give this dish 5 out of 5 stars and my DH gave it 10. He said it was absolutely wonderful. Goose was a little busy while we made the main dish so I had a little help from Amy. Since she begged me not to put the photo on, I will not. The ingredients are:

1 container (15 oz.) ricotta cheese
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 box (16 oz.) of ziti pasta, cooked and drained
1 jar (26 oz.) spaghetti sauce, your choice, we used Italian Garden style
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl, mix your ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, and eggs(make sure you beat the eggs well before adding them). In another large bowl, combine the pasta and pasta sauce and mix well. Put half of the pasta mixture in a 13 x 9 baking dish. Spread the ricotta cheese mixture on the pasta evenly. Top with remaining pasta mixture and sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese. Bake for 30 min. It will be easier to serve this dish if you wait a few minutes after it is out. Check the slideshow for pics.

For dessert we made something so yummy. I think I'm going to have to break my 5 star rule and give it a 10. It was so yummy. We made Lemon Poundcake. We made six mini loaves and 1 big loaf, to which I have to say we only have half of the large loaf left. My goose did such a great job helping me make this one and we got lots of good pics. Of course, he had to stop to taste and lick everything before we went to the next step. It was so much fun. The ingredients are:

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 cup plain yogurt
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 lemons

Make sure you bring your ingredients up to room temperature before you start. It will make your poundcake lighter and fluffier. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Coat your loaf pans with cooking spray (I prefer just to wipe them down with butter). Combine your flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda in a large mixing bowl. Add butter and beat on low speed until it forms moist crumbs. You will have to scrape the sides of the bowl. Beat on low speed while you add in the yogurt, eggs and vanilla. When it is blended (about a minute), scrape the bowl and turn it up to high speed and beat until light and fluffy. I beat mine about 4 to 5 min. Add 1 teaspoon of lemon zest and squeeze both the lemons into the batter and stir. Pour your batter into the prepared pans. For the mini loaves, I baked them 30-35 minutes. For the main loaf, it was about 40-45 minutes. Insert a toothpick to test for doneness. Let me know how these recipes turn out for you. If you put your own flair in it, I would love to know. I want to thank my good friend for sticking around and making a small memory with us. I love my Fun Food Friday with my kids and I hope to continue for a long time. All for now.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I look forward to reading each one. :)