Wisdom to Live By

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths."
Proverbs 3:5-6

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Fun Food Friday 2/19/10

It's here again. My children now know and look forward to Fun Food Friday. This Friday we did not do a brand new recipe. I decided to go back, way back, and pick recipe I haven't cooked in a long time. Our menu for this night was Eggplant Parmesan and Chocolate Chip Banana Bread. Now when I say way back I mean I haven't made this since before I had my kids. A few things I discovered were my kids are not big fans of eggplant (such a shame), Big Man has a skin allergy to marinara, and "Can't we just skip to the dessert." Sometimes don't I wish. Of course, like every week, when I make these dishes I end up putting my own twist on it or changing it somehow to suit my needs and style of cooking. So here we go. The ingredients for the Eggplant Parmesan are:

1/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1 cup italian bread crumbs
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 medium eggplant, unpeeled
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 jar marinara sauce or spaghetti sauce(which I will be using next time) (24 oz)
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (about 8 oz.)

I want to point out just a few things. When you buy eggplant, make sure there are no brown spots and you will want to use them within 2 days of buying them. My children gave this a 2 out of 5. My hubby and I gave it a 5. So, preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Beat milk and eggs in a medium bowl until blended. Combine bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, and salt in a shallow dish or pie plate. Cut eggplant into 1/2 inch thick slices. Dip the eggplant into the egg mixture and then coat in the bread crumb mixture. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium to medium high heat and add eggplant. Cook until golden on both sides. It takes about 5 - 7 minutes total.
Place the eggplant in a 13x9 casserole dish slightly overlapping. Top with marinara or spaghetti sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake until bubbly and cheese is melted and lightly golden which will take about 30 minutes. It is best served warm. On a side note, do not cut the eggplant until you are ready to begin coating the slices because they will discolor very quickly. It is not a good idea to cut and soak in water because a lot of the nutrients will actually leave the eggplant. Ok, onto the dessert, my kiddos favorite. The Chocolate Chip Banana Bread was so yummy and, of course, I changed it. The recipe is not even called Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, it is actually Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread, but because I like to do things my way, I changed it. :P The ingredients are:

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 stick butter, softened
3 eggs
3 medium bananas, mashed
1/2 cup buttermilk
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 package chocolate chips(my favorite are the dark chocolate, but you can use what you like)

So preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 loaf pans. Beat sugar and butter in your mixer on medium until light and fluffy. I like my to go for a while, but 2 minutes is sufficient. Add eggs, one at a time, until blended well. Add bananas and buttermilk and beat on low speed until blended, about a minute. Two things I want to point out. As you can see from the picture, the bananas I like to use are really brown, past the eating point. Also, I never buy buttermilk because I don't use it a lot. My substitute for buttermilk is put 1 tablespoon of vinegar in a measuring cup and then enough milk to make 1 cup and let it sit for 5 minutes. Works every time. In another bowl, while that is slowly mixing, combine flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Add flour to banana mixture on low speed until just blended. Stir in your chocolate with a spoon and pour the batter evenly into the two loaf pans. Bake the breads until toothpick inserted comes out clean, 50 - 60 minutes. As you can see from the pics, I have 2 different colored loaf pans and cooking time varies depending on the color of the pan. My darker pan took 50 min. and my lighter pan took 55 minutes. Cool the breads in the pans for about 10 minutes and then remove to a wire rack and cool for about an hour before slicing(just a suggestion). My kiddos definitely gave this recipe a 5 and my hubby said at least a 7. :P I hope you try these out and let me know how yours turns out. Until next time, all for now.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Definitely going to try the banana bread when we get to mom's house. Just wanted to let you know, too, that I can't see any of the picture. Tried clicking on view all, and it says I don't have access or they don't exist at that location. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I look forward to reading each one. :)