Wisdom to Live By

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths."
Proverbs 3:5-6

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Fun Food Friday 2/12/10

This Friday was a special one for Fun Food Friday. Big Man was so excited to have Daddy cooking with us this time. He was so excited. I think we were all a little ready to fly through dinner and get straight to dessert. This weeks recipes were Baked Fish Fillets, Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus and, for dessert, Coconut Cheesecake. Yuumm! We were out and about to late to do our appetizer, so we will do that one today. Ok, so Baked Fish Fillets. The ingredients are:

4 cod fillets (a serving is 3 - 4 oz.)
1/2 stick butter, melted
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried basil


My DH gave this recipe a 3 out of 5. I thought he was being generous, but that is probably because I'm not a big fan of cod. Honestly, if you are going to try this recipe which is super simple, you could substitute tilapia. Much better taste to me. So since I like to change things up anyway, I will let you know how I did this recipe. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Coat a medium side casserole dish with cooking spray (I use butter). Pat your fish dry. Combine melted butter and lemon juice in a bowl. I just squeezed a lemon wedge into my melted butter. Combine your bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and seasonings in a shallow dish. I did not use all the seasonings. I like to make things easier so I used Italian bread crumbs instead of regular and a few shakes of Italian seasoning. Dip fillets in the butter mixture coating really well and then dip in the bread crumb mixture coating a the entire piece. Place the fish in the casserole dish and drizzle the remaining butter mixture left in the bowl. Bake the fish for about 8-10 minutes. In the interest of safety, fish should be 145 degrees internally. When the fish starts to flake it is done. Feel free to try it with cod, but I didn't like it. I give this one a 2. Big Man and Goose loved it though. They kept asking for more.

Ok so Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus. I found out that my children love prosciutto, which is a little odd. If you have never had prosciutto, you will be interested to to discover that it smells really weird. It has a very strong, pungent smell. It is definitely an acquired taste. It is also not cheap. Prosciutto is $12.99 a pound. Yea! So, DH gave this recipe a 2. I gave it a 3. My kiddos gave it a 4. The ingredients are:

1/2 pound prosciutto
1/2 package neufchatel cheese, softened
12 spears asparagus, trimmed

My ingredients are:

1/4 pound prosciutto
1/2 package fat free cream cheese
1 bunch of asparagus

I really do not want to add an entire blog on what Neufchatel cheese is, so I will give you a link to a site and you can check it out. I will tell you that I used fat free cream cheese because in America, it is pretty much the same thing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neufch%C3%A2tel_(cheese). So, preheat your oven to 450 degrees. It should already be there from the fish. Spread prosciutto slices with the cream cheese. Wrap the slices around 2 or 3 asparagus spears. Arrange spears in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes. I put my asparagus in the oven and when it only had 8 minutes left, I popped in the fish. Simple. Even though I wasn't impressed with this, I can't complain because my kiddos loved and ate all of it. That's really what matters. So moving right along to the good part.

Coconut Cheesecake. Enough said. It was so stinkin' good. It was so good that the Goose savored it. I've never seen a 3 year old enjoy food so slowly on purpose. It was also super simple. We all gave this recipe a 5, even my little woman enjoyed some. The ingredients are

2 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup cream of coconut
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 graham cracker pie crust
1 cup cool whip
1/2 cup coconut, toasted

Mix together your cream cheese, cream of coconut, sugar and vanilla at medium speed until it is blended well. Add eggs, one at a time, (helps them incorporate well). Pour into your crust and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Allow to cool. I let mine rest for about 15 minutes. Refrigerate anywhere from 3 hours or overnight. When ready to eat, top with Cool Whip and toasted coconut. If you are unsure how to toast coconut, place the coconut on a baking sheet, pop it in the oven for about 5-8 minutes continuously checking and shaking it. Coconut will burn quickly. We had so much fun. I love my fun food Fridays. Check out our pics. All for now.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I look forward to reading each one. :)