Wisdom to Live By

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths."
Proverbs 3:5-6

Sunday, February 28, 2010

FFF, well, Saturday

Well, it's that time again. FFF, of course, this time it didn't happen on Friday with the chaos that ensued. This may be the last FFF for a few weeks. The kiddos and I are taking a trip. My baby sister is having a baby. I'm so very excited and can't wait to get there. I am very nervous though. I am about to drive 1100 miles with three children. Whew. It's exhausting just thinking about it. My hubby wanted to go so bad, but he couldn't get off work. So, back to FFF, Fun Food Friday. The menu for tonight was Easy Cheesy Chicken Bake, yumm and Lemon Layer Cake. The recipes were super simple and I didn't even start making the dessert until after dinner was in the oven. I just pulled it out when it was finished and let it set up while I finished the cake batter and popped them in the oven. My hubby and I gave Easy Cheesy Chicken Bake 5 stars and the kiddos gave it a 4. The ingredients are:

1 package Stove Top stuffing
1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 bag (14 oz.) frozen broccoli florets, thawed, drained
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Ok, so, super simple. Go ahead and preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Prepare the stuffing mix as it says on the box and set it aside. Mix your chicken and your broccoli in a 13 x 9 casserole dish. I just bought some chicken tenderloins and cut them into 1 inch pieces. Then you stir in your soup, milk and cheese and spread the stuffing mix evenly on top. Bake for 30 min and your done. Told ya. Simple. Now onto dessert. My absolute favorite dessert is Tiramisu, but a very close second is anything lemon. So the dessert on the menu was Lemon Layer Cake. Unfortunately, this recipe had a lot of flaws, so I'll let you know how I would change it up. The hubby and I gave it a 4 and the kiddos gave it a 5. The ingredients are

2 sticks of butter, softened(always important)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
1 can lemon frosting

So after you have pulled out the Chicken Casserole, put your oven on 350 degrees. Grease 2 round cake pans, preferable 8 inch. Put your softened butter in your mixer and beat on medium speed until creamy, about 2 min. Slowly add sugar, beating on high for about 5 min. Add eggs, one at a time, making sure you beat it well after each one. Beat on medium speed until very light, about 3 min. Slowly beat in the milk, and vanilla and lemon extracts. In another bowl, combine your flour, baking powder and salt and add it slowly to your mixer or you get a white kitchen. Beat on low speed while you are incorporating flour until it is well blended. Stir in your lemon rind. Pour your batter into the prepared pans and bake for about 20-25 min. Mine only took 20. Just test it with a toothpick. Cool in the pans on a wire rack for about 10 min and then remove the cakes from the pans and cool completely on wire racks. If you do not let them cool, you will have a runny mess when you frost them. After they have cooled, place the first layer on your cake plate and frost and top with the second layer and frost with your lemon frosting. Honestly the lemon frosting was too sweet for me. The next time I will be frosting mine with whipped cream. It's light and airy and goes so well with the lemon cake. If you want to frost with the whipped cream, you could also garnish with fresh strawberries. Ohh, the possibilities. Well, I hope you enjoyed it. Let me know how yours turns out. Don't forget to check the pics of my little helpers. They had a blast. All for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I look forward to reading each one. :)